Fine weather greeted 78 anglers for the start of the 26th annual Lake Arapuni fishing contest that was held on 21 and 22 March. Fifty-two adults and 26 juniors competed for a selection of prizes with 37 trout making it to the scales as well as a high number of eels – which were all returned to the lake – and good-sized rudd and goldfish.
While Sunday morning brought some rain, it didn’t deter the anglers and some good, well-conditioned fish were caught.
The contest, which is held at the same time each year, allows Fish and Game Auckland/Waikato monitor fish numbers and condition.
Twenty-two of the fish weighed in were fin-clipped, which were released into the lake and the remaining 15 were naturally spawned fish in the lake.
The average fish weight for the weekend was 1.887 kg.
The winner of the Bill Sullivan trophy for the heaviest overall fish was awarded to Paula Munro.
- Paula Munro Rainbow jack 3.451kg
- Mike Germann Brown hen 3.224 kg
- Glen Streeter Rainbow jack 2.859 kg
- Jayden Morris Rainbow hen 2.811 kg
- Brad Gillespie Rainbow hen 2.699 kg
- Lisa Holmes Rainbow hen 2.479 kg
- Zaelyn Thompson Rainbow jack 2.915 kg
- Max Van der Drift Rainbow hen 2.716 kg
- Alex Moorhead Rainbow hen 2.684 kg
- Brayden Holmes Rainbow hen 2.131 kg
- Saxon Butcher Brown jack 1.898 kg
- Hayden Duncan Rainbow hen .933 kg
- Dylan Youle .779 kg
Heaviest bag of five Rudd
- Dylan Youle 1.997 kg
Heaviest other fish (eel)
- Kyle Holmes .845 kg